This lesson will be addressing the major changes under the Omnibus Rule which give patients the right to sue under state law citing HIPAA. There are an enormous amount of issues and risks for covered entities and business associates under Omnibus. Several states have already set precedence for giving their citizens the right to sue under HIPAA, examples will be discussed as well as risk factors.
Why should you attend:
Areas Covered in the Session:
- The Federal government is encouraging states to adopt laws to remedy patients for wrongful disclosures?
- What does this mean for covered entities and business associates?
- Why should you be concerned?
- Court cases that are changing the landscape of HIPAA and patient’s ability to sue
Who Will Benefit:
- Updates for 2015
- Examples of court cases
- Frivolous law suits on the rise
- Business associates and the increased burden
- Risk factors
- Practice Managers
- MD's and other Medical Professionals
- Billing Companies
- Transcription Companies
- IT Companies
- Answering Services
- Home Health
- Any Business Associates who work with Medical Practices or Hospitals