This lesson will be addressing how practice/business managers (or compliance offers) need to get their HIPAA house in order as HIPAA is now fully enforced and the government is not using kid gloves any more. It will also address major changes under the Omnibus Rule and any other applicable updates for 2017 and beyond. There are an enormous amount of issues and risks for covered entities and business associates these days.
I will speak on specific experiences from over 17 years of experience in working as an outsourced compliance auditor, expert witness on multiple HIPAA cases, and thoroughly explain how patients are now able to get cash remedies for wrongful disclosures of private health information.
More importantly I will show you how to limit those risks by simply taking proactive steps and utilizing best practices.
Why should you Attend:
- Omnibus has changed the HIPAA landscape for good
- This once rarely enforced law has changed and you need to know what's going on
- Protect your practice or business
- These day's trial attorney's pose a higher risk than the Federal government
- State laws are now in place increasing liability for patient remedies
- What factors might spurn a lawsuit or a HIPAA audit? are you doing these things?
- Why are the Feds enforcing after all these years?
We will be discussing 2017 changes taking place in Washington with the Health and Human Services in regards to the enforcement of the HIPAA laws already on the books as well as some detailed discussions on the Phase 2 audit process as well as some current events regarding HIPAA cases(both in courtrooms and from live audits).
Areas Covered in the Session:
Who Will Benefit:
- Updates for 2017
- Portable Devices
- Real Life Audits and Litigated cases
- Business Associates and the increased burden
- Breach Notification
- Paperwork that needs to be updated
- Risk Factors
- Practice Managers
- Any Business Associates who work with Medical Practices or Hospitals (i.e. Billing Companies, Transcription Companies, IT Companies, Answering Services, Home Health, Coders, Attorneys, etc)
- MD's and other Medical Professionals